Minutes – Thursday 6th September – adopted 11.10/18

Present –Iain Jenner (IJ), Colin Campbell (CC), Ann Marie Cameron (AM) , Dave Wrigglesworth (DW) Nicola Mair (NM) Jennifer Jarl (JJ),
Apologies –Lisa Glaze Stewart Livingston (SL)
Also present- Marie Law & Anne MacKay-Boyd (NHS) Gordon MacIntyre

Minutes from July meeting – proposed by CC seconded by NM

COMMUNITY PAYBACK – IJ has been in touch with co-ordinator and they would be happy to build the notice boards over the winter.

KATE FORBES – attended the recent ASLCC meeting. Raised concern re community empowerment. Cllr MacLean suggested the Scottish Gov. Create an audit for feedback.

Highland Council- request for bus timetable to be erected at Cuilchenna – also chase up new bus stop at Old Town – AM – to follow up
DEFIB SIGNS – suggest they be erected on bus shelter at Onich Store – AM to contact Highland Council re permissions

TREASURER REPORT – £1164.42 – with 1 x cheque to clear for £65.39

FC response – no reply as yet

Inchree – ongoing

Website – info to come re upgrading

HYDRO PLAN INCHREE – no update – waiting got contact from FC – IJ/CC TO DEAL.

BT WORKS – IJ has a letter from BT re fiber optic works onging through village. Letter has been stuffed under door at hall. This is to be followed up. AM to get letter and follow up.

SL – Old Cemetery – continuing

Kate Ward – complaint re ‘new’ Old Town sign – AM followed this up and had the reply from David Devine of Transport Scotland. Although signs are not to be removed they are to be amendned

Coronation trees – Continuing.

Quayside lorries – Nm passed this enquiry to Police Scotland and there is no crime re the liquid expelled from the lorries

New Hospital – discussions.
Marie Law NHS Highland district manager Adult Services Lochaber and
Anne MacKay-Boyd Rural general hospital manager for the Belford Hospital were invited to join in this discussion and thanked for taking the time to come along.

Marie gave an outline of where this project is and the projected end date of 2020/22. Blue prints are available and link will be forwarded to NLCC and can be published on our website. Following the recent meeting there was good local representation and positivity. The site has been checked and considered v.good. Having to look at impact Liberty will have on area as well ie increase of population.

Anne – move still to be a 24/7 consultant lead hospital – challenging time ahead as trying to recruit but hoping that upcoming interviews will prove positive. It is costly covering with locums and what is needed is more General consultant instead of specialisms, but both necessary.

IJ asked if capacity would be same – answer was yes –trying to secure same number of beds.

NM – any paediatric services – NO unlikely – still Raigmore or Glasgow

Helipad- FW covered by dedicated trauma team from Aberdeen. IJ raised locating helip at FW to cover west due to road issues.

CC raised traffic management issues.
IJ also asked about patient transfers
Both Marie and Anne were thanks for all the information provided and they left the meeting.

Plaque at orchard – NM reports plaque gone poss grass cutters

Cylce way / hedges – DW raised concern re the shrubs and hedges protruding on to the path. IJ states this is responsibility of BEAR, as per 2014 agreement. AM to write –email to David Devine and others, cc IJ and Sustrans to email.

Cross Cottage planning – GM asked if NLCC would object as a matter of principle due to planning at this site for house. Waste of good croft land and entrance issues along with visibility. IJ to submit.

Community Council Review – IJ creating submission – (will distribute for checking prior to submission)

Meeting closed .


Community Council review 2018/19

Highland Community Councils
Scheme Review 2018/19
Initial Engagement

Why are we reviewing the Scheme?
Community Councils are created and governed through a Scheme of Establishment developed by each Local Authority. It is at the discretion of each Local Authority area what the content of any Scheme is however they must be periodically reviewed. The current Scheme commits the Council to a review within each Local Government electoral cycle.

It also appears timely to review the current Scheme when the role of Community Councils is being discussed more widely. The foundation of the Government’s and COSLA’s Governance Review is that it is often better for decisions about the issues that affect communities to be taken with more active involvement of those communities and asks how this may happen within communities.

A key question for this Review must be what is the role of Community Councils?

The Commission on Highland Democracy reported last December and highlighted that there were diverse views across Highland on the role and value of Community Councils, with some concerns that they do not represent the range of community views. It noted that many Community Councils found themselves in ‘no man’s land’ and that there was a need to focus on their role and function.

How can we involve and engage more people in Community Councils?
What is the role of Community Councils going forward?

We also know that many Community Councils are struggling in terms of sustainability. Communities have changed; some have grown but others have seen their populations falling. Just under a third of all Community Councils have populations of less than 500. Since the last full Community Council elections in November 2015 we have had 76 interim elections and it is estimated that Community Councils are only at around 60-70% elected membership level, leaving approximately 400 positions unfilled throughout Highland. This leaves Community Councils vulnerable to falling into abeyance and leaving communities without representation.

Can Community Councils continue to operate sustainably at their current size?

It is therefore important to consider how the Scheme in Highland could be amended to support the work, operation and sustainability of Community Councils. This initial phase of engagement is designed to stimulate discussion and thoughts and poses some challenging questions about potential new ways of working and operating to address some of the challenges currently facing Community Councils. Some of the thoughts and ideas that emerge may require legislative change and the Governance Review presents a good opportunity to bring this forward nationally.

It is important that you as Community Councils are involved in this and we welcome your views.

Process for the Review
The current Scheme of Establishment for Community Councils in Highland came into effect in 2011. The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (section 53) states that every Local Authority shall from time to time review the Schemes made and approved under this Act and shall involve Community Councils and the wider public to make representations regarding the proposals.

In order to review the scheme under section 53 of the 1973 Act the Council is required to undertake a two stage process.
• Stage one – the formal decision to review, and the outline proposals, needs to be passed by not less than two-thirds of members voting at a special meeting of the Council convened specifically for that purpose. Public notice is then given of the intention to review along with details of the proposals, with Community Councils and the public invited to make representations regarding the proposals.
• Stage 2 – the Council will consider any representations made and may amend the scheme in accordance with—
a) the notified proposals; or
b) those proposals as amended to take account of any such representations.
However, should the proposals be amended following representations received during stage 1, then further public notice shall be given and an opportunity for the public to comment on the amended proposals.

The final decision to amend the Scheme needs to be passed by not less than two-thirds of members voting at a special meeting of the Council convened for that purpose.

Before we proceed with stage 1 and publish any proposed amendments, we need to develop a proposed set of changes for the revised scheme. We are keen to do this along with Community Councils to ensure that the proposals put forward are shaped and reflective of what Community Councils identify as priorities.

Initial engagement with Community Councils will take place from August until end of September. This will be done in two ways:
• Through a survey which seeks views on several key areas. The survey has been designed to stimulate discussion and thoughts and poses some challenging questions about potential new ways of working and operating to address some of the issues currently facing Community Councils. It is organised into four key sections:
o Reviewing the Boundaries – considering the make-up of Community Councils
o Review of the Scheme – including role, elections, membership code of conduct and funding
o Scottish Government Scheme Review – posing the key questions from the review which can help inform our own Scheme review and be shared with the Scottish Government and COSLA.
o Your role as a Community Councillor – seeking views on your role.

• The second strand of engagement will be through a series of drop in sessions during September to enable Community Councils to come along and share their thoughts about potential areas for development. Details of these are being finalised and will be circulated shortly.

Following the initial engagement, a series of proposals will be developed to be considered by a special meeting of the Council on 25 October 2018. Should these be agreed, a three month public consultation would be held on the detailed proposals.

The initial survey is appended to this report to enable sharing and discussion amongst your Community Council. When you have agreed on a response, could you please respond online at: www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/CC_Review_Engagement
In addition to any response agreed by the Community Council, individual Community Councillors are also welcome to respond and the feedback form enables you to do this. Should you have any additional comments please feel free to email: policy6@highland.gov.uk or to speak with your Ward Manager.

Thank you for your contributions.

Community Council Review 2018/19
Community Council’s Initial Engagement Survey


1. Name of Community Council:____________________________

2. I am responding as:
• An individual Community Councillor
• On behalf of the Community Council*
(*the response should have has been agreed by the Community Council)

Section 1: Review of boundaries of Community Councils

When reviewing the Community Council Scheme, this provides an opportunity to consider the boundaries of Community Councils. It is a chance to consider whether the boundaries that define your Community Council still make sense. Many communities have experienced changing populations caused by new developments or by population decrease. Does this now make your Community Council too large or too small?

However it is also an opportunity to consider the sustainability of Community Councils. Since the last full Community Council elections in November 2015, there have been 76 interim elections for Community Councils. Interim elections occur when the number of elected Community Councillors falls below half to the total membership. Although many of you have attempted to encourage wider involvement and to co-opt on additional members, we know that many of you are operating near to or just above your minimum level. This makes Community Councils very vulnerable to going into abeyance leaving communities without representation.
Part of this review needs to consider how we can make Community Councils more sustainable in different ways. Could a change in structure/boundary assist in helping to support the operation of your Community Council?

3. Are there boundary changes that your Community Council would like to be considered?

Please provide details.

4. Taking both population and geography into account, is the current size of your Community Council:
a. Too large
b. Too small
c. About right

Please say why?

5. Has your Community Council struggled to operate because of a lack of members?

6. Thinking about your response to questions 4 and 5, if your Community Council is too small or struggling with membership, would you consider enlarging your Community Council to create a larger pool of people to recruit from? This may be considering merger with one or more neighbouring Community Councils or about changing the existing boundaries?
(Note: with many Community Councils now with access to windfarm monies, it is important to emphasise that this should not be a barrier to any merger as the original community beneficiaries could be ring-fenced)

7. Thinking about your response to questions 4 and 5, if your Community Council is too large, would you want to consider changing the boundary in order to help it operate more successfully?

A third of Community Councils have populations of less than 500. This can make it challenging to attract membership when the number of people available locally is low.

8. Should there be a minimum population size set for each Community Council in Highland e.g. 2,000? What should this be?

9. To help align and strengthen the links between Community Councils and other local groups, should larger existing geographies such as Associated School Groups be used for Community Councils?

Section 2: Review of the Scheme of Community Councils

In addition to the question about the size of Community Councils, another way in which to increase the sustainability of Community Councils would be to consider current eligibility and membership of Community Councils.

At present only those who live in the Community Council area and are on the electoral role for that community are eligible to stand for the Community Council.

10. Given that many people now live and work in separate communities, should this be broadened to enable anyone who lives in the Local Authority area to be eligible for standing for a Community Council in Highland?

11. Do you have any other ideas about eligibility for Community Councils?

At present, members of the Community Council are either elected or co-opted. This makes up the total membership of the Community Council. In order to increase involvement and membership, the Scheme could be amended to make allowances for additional members from key community groups to be core members of the Community Council e.g. a member of the parent council, a member of the youth forum. This could be optional for Community Councils but would enable additional members to be brought on and strengthen Community Councils, particularly where numbers are low.

12. Do you think additional places, should be allowed for key community groups?
Yes, No, Don’t know

If yes, which groups would be important?

13. Do you think that existing places on the Community Council should be set aside for key local community groups e.g. parent council, youth forum?

14. In order to encourage youth representation, should youth membership be formalised by having an additional place for a youth member (14-18)?

15. Is the current membership number for your Community Council:
• Too low?
• Too high?
• About right?

Please explain why:

16. The current quorum for Community Councils is 4. Is this:
• Too low?
• Too high?
• About right?

Please explain why:

17. What else could the Council do to encourage participation and involvement in Community Councils?

18. What could you as a Community Council do to encourage participation and involvement in your Community Council?


Recent research has suggested that one way in which to encourage broader involvement in democratic bodies like Community Councils would be to annually select people at random to serve on the body for a set period. This encourages wider involvement from a boarder range of people within the community. This could not be introduced for Community Councils without a legislative change however it may be something that could be trialled in addition to existing membership.

19. Is this something that should be explored in Highland?
Yes, No, Don’t Know

Please explain why:

20. Would your Community Council be interested in trialling this approach?

21. Should the new Scheme consider adopting a method of electronic voting in order to increase participation in Community Council elections?

The Role of Community Councils
The formal role of Community Councils is set out within the 1973 Local Government (Scotland) Act. This states that in addition to any other purpose the Community Council wishes to purse, it is the role of Community Councils to ‘ascertain, co-ordinate and express….the views of the community which it represents.” This definition has not been reviewed and the Council has no formal powers to amend this, however Community Councils are now taking on a range of roles and as part of this review it would be helpful to understand what roles Community Councils feel should be articulated.

22. What roles/areas of work do you think should be defined as belonging to the Community Council?

23. Is your Community Council interested in taking on specific duties/new areas of work? If yes, what are you interested in?

24. To what extent, would you like to be involved in decision-making in your area?

25. To what extent would you be interested in taking part in community discussions about how local services are provided and making choices about these within our budget limits?

As part of the move to greater participatory democracy, work nationally has suggested that given their role within the community, Community Councils could provide a key role as facilitators of views within the community. At present Community Councils act as representatives however as facilitators this would involve running forums to produce ideas and solutions to support other community and public sector bodies.

26. What do you think of this as a potential role for Community Councils?

Code of Conduct
There is no basis within the legislation to impose sanctions upon Community Councils or Community Councillors should they not be operating effectively. However, it has been suggested that despite this, a formal complaints procedure to accompany the Scheme would support Community Councils in how best to manage complaints.

27. Would your Community Council be supportive of introducing a complaints procedure?
Yes, No, Don’t know

Please explain why:

28. What would the Community Council like this procedure to contain?

As all Community Councils will be aware, the administrative grants have been reduced as a result of the budget saving in February 2018. The existing formula was recalculated in order to meet the requirements in the Scheme but it seems appropriate to review whether this existing formula and approach is still suitable.

29. Should there be a defined list of what spend the administrative grant should pay for?

If yes, what should this include?

The existing formula sets a core amount per head, an additional amount for each rural Community Council and an amount per head of population. If a formula was going to continue to be used:

30. Should the core amount per head be the same for each Community Council?

31. Should there still be an amount to take account of population and geography?

An alternative to a formula, creating a standard grant for each Community Council, would be to retrospectively pay for spend up to a certain amount and only if Community Councils do not have funds in the bank. This would ensure all spend is appropriate and that large balances are not accrued. This is an approach which has been adopted in some other Local Authority areas.

32. Is retrospective payment something the Council should consider? Please give us your views.
Section 3: Scottish Government and COSLA – Local Governance Review

The Scottish Government are currently undertaking a review of Governance in Scotland. This follows a growing recognition that it is often better for decisions about the issues that affect communities to be taken with more active involvement of those communities.

The Government wants to hear directly from communities, hearing their local voice in a discussion about local communities deciding their own future. They want to know:
• do communities want to be in more control;
• does it mean communities having a stronger voice when decisions about them are taken;
• is it about having the powers and resources to use as they think best; and
• how could this be made to work locally?

When we in Highland are reviewing the Community Council Scheme with a key focus on making Community Councils more sustainable, it seems sensible to consider these questions as part of our review of the Community Council Scheme.

The following questions have been posed by the Scottish Government and COSLA as part of the review. We will share the feedback from the following questions with the Scottish Government to assist as part of the Governance Review. Please indicate if you agree to this information being shared:

33. I agree to this information being shared with the Scottish Government and COSLA as part of the Governance Review:

Many people will have experienced decision-making processes that affect their lives and the public services they rely upon – whether at a national or local level. How easy is it to get involved and have your say? We are keen to hear what can help you share your ideas for what can help your community to thrive. Some people may feel excluded from these decision-making processes. It is crucial we understand the barriers experienced.

34. Tell us about your experiences of getting involved in decision-making processes that affect your local community or community of interest.

People are also increasingly playing a more active role in ensuring that their voice is heard when decisions are made about the issues they care about most in local communities, and by taking decisions for themselves. This review is about identifying new approaches that will ensure these different ways of taking decisions that complement each other to best effect.

35. Would you like your local community or community of interest to have more control over some decisions? If yes, what sorts of issues would those decisions cover?

Through the Review we want to understand what types and sizes of community make most sense to people, and why. It’s a complicated issue, and we want to hear what you think would work.

36. When thinking about decision-making, ‘local’ could mean a large town, a village, or a neighbourhood. What does ‘local’ mean to you and your community?

We want to explore how all public services, councils and the Scottish Government can make this work. Existing groups that take action and are part of decision-making in communities include council area committees, area partnerships, community councils, development trusts, community based housing associations and community led groups and organisations. Perhaps all of these different structures and processes could be built on, or developed, to support greater levels of community decision-making across public services and to strengthen local democracy. That might include sharing powers or resources differently between the Scottish Government, councils and communities, a second, more local, layer of local government, or other potential ideas.

37. Are there existing forms of local level decision-making which could play a part in exercising new local powers? Are there new forms of local decision-making that could work well? What kinds of changes might be needed for this to work in practice?
(Local Note: is there a specific role for Community Councils in this and what might this be?)

This is a big topic and the questions we’ve asked you to consider here won’t have covered everything that will need to be explored. This will happen as people come forward with their ideas and the conversation builds. We’d like to take this opportunity to ask you to make any final points you feel are important, and invite you to ask any questions that will help you to remain part of the conversation.

38. Do you have any other comments, ideas or questions? Is there more you want to know?

Section 4: Your role as a Community Councillor

39. How satisfied are you (as an individual or as a Community Council) in your role on the Community Council?

Very Satisfied, Satisfied, Neither, Dissatisfied, Very Dissatisfied

Please explain why:

40. What frustrates you most (as an individual or as the Community Council) about your role on the Community Council?

41. What do you (as an individual or as the Community Council) enjoy most about your role on the Community Council?

42. Please provide any further comments you would like to make on areas of the Scheme that you would like to see amended or about the role and responsibilities of Community Councils.

Thank you for sharing your views


Flower and Produce Show schedule – SUNDAY 2nd SEPTEMBER 2018

Nether Lochaber Village Hall

Doors open 1pm – Prize giving approx 2.00pm

SECTION I – Home baking 1st – Onich Hotel Cup
2nd Lodge on the Loch Cup plus Show-Stopper Trophy
1. Brown or White Loaf with yeast – NO BREAD MACHINE TO BE USED
2. 4 x Empire Biscuits
3. 4 x Pancakes
4. Lemon Drizzel cake
5. 4 x Fruit Scones (any fruit)
6. Clootie Dumpling
7. 4 x Sausage Rolls
8. 1 x Carrot Cake
9. 1 x Meatloaf
10. 4 x pieces Shortbread
11. 4 x Cupcakes – decorated
12. 4 x Flapjacks
13. Quiche – choice of any type
14. Chocolate Sponge – (Raspberry jam filling only- NO decoration)
15. Show-Stopper- Celebration cake filled and decorated
Each item to be on paper plates
with labels stapled on and wrapped in cling film
SECTION II – Produce
1st – MacKintosh Corran Cup
NOTE -ALL jams must be Wax covered – NO METAL LIDS
ALL jams must be filled to the neck of the jar
and can be any size
1. Blackcurrant Jam
2. Wild-card jam – fruit of your choice
3. Fruit Curd – your choice
4. Marmalade
5. Chutney
6. 6 Hens eggs
7. 6 pieces Tablet
8. Homemade alcoholic drink ie Beer/Wine
9. Pea & Ham soup
SECTION III – Knitting
1st – Corran Bar Trophy (ALL ITEMS NEW TO SHOW)
1. A knitted baby item – your choice
2. Pram Cover
3. Item of crochet
4. Tea Cosy
5. Hand Knitted toy

SECTION IV – Handicraft
1st – Camus Na Gaul Cup
1. Article in Embroidery
2. Cushion Cover – any material
3. Item of Hand Made Jewellery
4. Colored photograph – ‘A GATE’ – NOT MOUNTED
5. Painted picture – any subject using any medium
6. Pencil or charcoal drawing – any subject
7. Article made using recycled materials or up cycled
8. A coloured MANDALA – printed or hand-drawn
9. Hand Tied Fishing Fly
10. Article in Wood

SECTION V – Floral Decoration
1st – Marjorie Summers Trophy
1. Harvest display including fruit/berry/foliage
2. Dinner table centerpiece – fresh flowers
3. Arrangement “From the woodland”
(with fresh flowers included)
1st – Gleaner Oil Cup 2nd – Old Manse Trophy
1 4 stems Floribunda Roses 2 1 x Gladioli
3 4 x Sweet Peas 4 4 x Pansies
5 4 Mixed Stems (Annuals) 6 4 Mixed Stems (Perennials)
7 4 x marigold 8 2 x Decorative Dahlia
9 4 x stems Hydrangea 10 1 Flowering INDOOR Pot plant
11 1 x Flowering OUT DOOR pot plant
12 Foliage pot plant 13 Hanging Basket – any size
16 Cacti/Succulent
4 x Marigold 15
Home-made Compost

SECTION VII – Garden Produce
1st – Old School Cup
1. 2 x Swedes 2. 2 x Turnips
3. 1 Cabbage 4. 6 Pea Pods
5. 3 Carrots 6. 2 x Leeks
7. 4 White Potatoes 8. 4 Colored Potatoes
9. 1 Lettuce (Any variety) 10. 2 Onions
11. 3 x Tomatoes 12. 3 x Cherry Tomatoes (RED)
13. Bunch of Parsley 14. 3 x stalks of Rhubarb
15. 1 x Pepper (Any variety) 16. 1 x Marrow
17. 2 x Beetroot (any shape) 18. 4 Spring Onions (1 variety)
19. 4 x Runner Beans 20. 4 x Broad Beans
21. 1 x Cauliflower 22. Bouquet of Herbs – 5 varieties
23. Collection of Mixed vegetables – 5 varieties
24. Collection of Greenhouse Grown fruits/vegs (can be both)– 5 varieties
Please only use container size 18”x12”x6” for class 23 & 24

SECTION VIII – Children’s section
Group 1 – pre school – Group 2 – P1-P3 Group 3 – P4 – P7
1. Decorated a hard boiled egg
2. Shell-craft item
3. 4 x crispy cakes
4. A4 size picture of a MANDALA – bright colours any design
(can be printed and coloured in or hand drawn and coloured in)
Children section – note age on entry.
Front Cover – A4 portrait size show front page design for 2019 – VERY BRIGHT COLOURS PLEASE (FELT PENS)

Minutes – 7th July 2018

Present –Iain Jenner (IJ), Colin Campbell (CC), Ann Marie Cameron (AM) , Dave Wrigglesworth (DW) Nicola Mair (NM) Stewart Livingston (SL)
Apologies –Jennifer Jarl (JJ), Lisa Glaze Cllr Andrew Baxter
Also – Kate Ward, Linda MacLachlan

Minutes from June meeting – proposed by CC seconded by IJ

NLVH BUSINESS – Kate Ward present to hand over cheque to NLVH following the folding up of the Nether Lochaber Country Dancers bank account and club. Donation cheque was for £464.60 passed to AM for banking. Many thanks for this donation.

COMMUNITY PAYBACK – NM has been in contact and they would be able to help out with cutting shrubs at hall and possibly to erect notice boards but would ask us toe make up a list – IJ interested – NM to pass contact number to IJ/AM

KATE FORBES – no reply – IJ to contact again and copy in press/BBC – IJ

Highland Council- request for bus timetable to be erected at Cuilchenna – also chase up new bus stop at Old Town – AM

NLCA NEXT DATE ; next project is tidy up at picnic site -08/07/18

Loch Leven Pods – Through planning. IJ has been in contact with press to provide more information.

Cycle way bridge – Inchree- in for planning

FC response – no reply as yet


New Hospital visit – We had been due to have a rep from the working group attend and update us but due to resignation at NHS we have delayed this meeting. Request that a public meeting be held – AM TO CONTACT

DEFIB SIGNS – NM has delivered the signs. To be fixed up near the phone box. She has also noted the id ref number from the defib which are needed by Ambulance. AM to get quote for insuring defib.

TREASURER REPORT – £1164.42 – with 1 x cheque to clear for £65.39
Discussion re donations which we regularly do. Agreement that 2 x groups will receive money and on receipt of grant we will give the other 2 x groups their money. AM to deal.

Inchree – ongoing

Website – new/upgraded website is now active. NLCA will have a page also. IJ suggested having an archive section old photos and history items. This is following the success of the Memories weekend.

HYDRO PLAN INCHREE – no update – waiting got contact from FC – IJ/CC TO DEAL.

SCHOOL HEAD RETIRES– Susan Kemp has retired from St Brides, there is to be a School Cluster meeting on 4th Sept @ 730pm (where?)

BT WORKS – IJ has a letter from BT re fiber optic works onging through village. Letter has been stuffed under door at hall. This is to be followed up. AM to get letter and follow up.

Poo Bin @ Cuilchenna – there has been an issue with the overflowing poo bin at Cuilchenna . Appears to have been resolved with new bin and double collection but overflow is refuse and not poo bags so why are people using it.

SL – Old Cemetery – has been in touch with Highland council re asset transfer

Kate Ward – complaint re ‘new’ Old Town sign and the stress it is causing at this location. AM to contact Bear Manager and Copy in A82 partnership

Linda MacLachlan – Coronation trees – Linda states the trees need attention.. Nlcc have marker signs which need installed also. She was also concerned re the amount of water which still runs from the back of Quaryside lorries heading south.

1. IJ – Show schedule – to go on website
2. IJ – Website – some proposed changes to incorporate NLCA which Niall Blair will work on.
3. GPS APP – 3 words – this is an app which allocates 3 words to any GPS point anywher3e in the world with no two alike. Would be useful to emergency services. Can it be installed on website?
4. Sewage – Discussion re sewage outflows which are still going into Loch Leven as outflows from Dunbeg to Kinlochleven and from Upper Carnoch Glencoe and Invercoe areas exit to loch so water still effected but pollutants which was the main reason for the expansion at the bridge.

Meeting closed .



Present Iain Jenner, Colin Campbell,, Dave Wrigglesworth, Nicola Mair, Jennifer Jarl, Lisa
Glaze (minute sec),
Apologies Ann Marie Cameron, Stewart Livingston, Andrew Baxter
Minutes of last meeting be accepted proposed CC Seconded NM
Matters Arising
NM to contact Community Payback Team to see if they would be able to
The project will continue later in the year when everyone has more time. Looking
for community volunteers.
Participation Request
IJ is awaiting a reply from Kate Forbes
Community Association
The formal opening of the picnic site was well attended.
Next activity day is Sunday 10 June- Cuilcheanna bus stop and memorial cross
Will be coming up at planning next week.
Shiel buses have the emergency contract to the end of August. 90% of services will
continue. The penultimate night bus and 44 service between 16.10 and 18.40 will not be
running. The tender for the new contract is out in July and will start in September.
IJ to send temporary timetable to website
Inchree Bridge and Cycleway
Bear has put in a planning application for the cycle track bridge
IJ to speak to SUSTRANS about camber on Ballachulish Bridge
Dangerous overhanging vegetation, loose gravel and dangerous parking are all issues.
NM suggested phoning 101 to report. It may be possible to continue the green line
around the Bayside corner.
JJ to photograph vehicles parking half on cycleway at the dangerous corner at
Composting Toilets
Ben Starkey has now installed toilets.
FC have not yet replied.
£1,167.42 in bank
1. A Rep will attend the meeting in July to discuss the new hospital
2. NM to collect new defibrillator signs
3. To comply with new data protection rules anyone named in minutes must be aware
and have given permission
4. AMC to draft a letter from Cc to all residents with vegetation overhanging the
cycleway asking them to cut it back as it is extremely hazardous to the public
5. JJ to speak to the Grazings clerk for permission to cut the grass at the cafe
6. 500 police officer s are to be trained in the use of tasers in the Highlands. IJ asked
NM To enquire over funding in light of funds being unavailable for an A82
investigation team. LG enquired as to whether officers attending the MTB World Cup
at Nevis Range were armed.
7. Fence at Bal Ur playpark has collapsed. NM has approached HC with no result. IJ
suggested sending a photo to the council and Lochaber Times.
8. Hydroplan has been investigating hydro power generation in Glen Righ. We have
not been notified of this, the developer may be prepared to come along and speak to
us. The F.C. will receive rent and the community would be eligible for 5% community
payback. If, at a later date, there is a community buyout of Inchree forest this would
include the rental revenue.
9. AMC to report fly tipping at Inchree bus shelter
10. There is a Highland Council consultation about communities taking over grass
cutting etc.
11. The headteacher at St Brides has announced her retirement. There is a meeting at
the school about future school management.
12. Inchree Forum: a suggestion to approach the Lochaber Housing Association for a
trial site to create allotments as a start was agreed. IJ to notify the steering group.
Meeting closed at 9pm
Date of next meeting THURSDAY 5 July 2018 7pm
VILLAGE HALL meeting 6.30pm

Minutes of a meeting held on 5 April 2018

Minutes of a meeting of Nether Lochaber Community Council held on 5 April 2018

Present Iain Jenner, Colin Campbell,, Dave Wrigglesworth, Ann Marie Cameron, Lisa Glaze (minute sec),

Also Gordon MacIntyre

Apologies Stewart Livingston , Jennifer Jarl, Nicola Mair

Minutes of last meeting be accepted proposed DW Seconded AMC

Matters Arising

Road Safety
A Baxter notified by Pauline Donaldson of the traffic survey results. 85% of traffic is driving at the speed limit @40mph and, therefore, HC sees the B863 at N Ballachulish as unsuitable for a 30mph limit.
IJ to respond

The first is now built and ready to be installed at the school.

The CC is itemising admin costs with a view to applying to the Discretionary Fund. To include hall rental and minute secretary.

Flashing Sign
AMC to write to Transport Scotland

Participation Request
IJ and DW to flesh out CC letter requesting participation in future A82 upgrade consultations in Nether Lochaber

AMC to contact Jo Cowan

Tree opposite cafe
The tree officer has put an enforcement order on the workmen to adhere to protection put in place in planning consent

The next activity day is 8April, working on the picnic site.

There is £863.91 in the account

1. Notification of Insurance with Zurich
2. Resilience funding is available from SSE
3. Planning submission from Loch Leven Hotel for camping pods. There has been a query over access.
4. Reminder to hold AGM date set – 7 June
5. Annual renewal from GRAPL (website)

1. Loch Leven Planning Application. Concerns include public access to road and capacity of the sewage system.
IJ to write comment to planning
2. Bus service – following the closure of their depot by Stagecoach the 44 service may be run on an emergency contract and drop to a 2 hourly service .
AB is proposing bike racks on buses and smaller buses that orbit the Loch.
3. A puddle is forming at the Church coming from a burn at the back.
IJ to inspect.

Meeting closed 8.40pm

Date of next meeting THURSDAY 3 April 2018 7pm
Village Hall meeting at 6.30pm

Minutes of Meeting 1st March 2018

Present Iain Jenner, Colin Campbell, Jennifer Jarl, Dave Wrigglesworth, Ann Marie Cameron, Nicola Mair, Lisa Glaze (minute sec),

Also Jo Cowan (Highland Senior Citizens Network), Andrew Baxter (Cllr.)
Apologies Stewart Livingston

Minutes of last meeting be accepted proposed CC Seconded NM

Matters Arising

Two representatives from Strontian community attended to talk about their progress, they emphasised communication as key. The potential to incorporate future meetings with Community Council meetings, alternating with the Village Hall Committee was considered.

Creag Mhor Cemetary
JJ to ask Neil Slinger to write to SL

SSE Emergency Power Cut Fund
IJ has sent an application

Flower and Produce Show
JJ and Elaine Cameron are delivering the schedule

Road Safety
NM to speak to Melanie Itze again
IJ waiting to hear from Pauline Donaldson about painting the bridge as you enter N Ballachulish white and putting up a ‘Welcome to North Ballachulish ‘ sign.

The next training dates are 2 March am, and Tuesday 6 evening
AM to create a FB event and put on website

Onich grazings have given their permission to put a Noticeboards near the shop.

The Community Council grant from Highland Council has been cut by approximately half. It consists of a fixed sum plus 13p per resident. Councillors are hoping to mitigate this,in some cases, by using the ward discretionary budget.

Treasurers Statement – The bank balance is £1167.42 of which £400 is to be distributed amongst local groups who will be informed that this donation may not continue.


1. DW noted the presence of police speed operation s
2. The poor condition of the roads were noted. An enquiry has been received about sweeping the pavements, IJ has written to Kate Forbes, BEAR and Transport Scotland pointing out that Transport Scotland is responsible for the cycleway where it is adjacent to the A82.
AM has contacted BEAR about the puddle forming where the road drain has been covered with earth (Inchree)
3. Flashing signs to slow down traffic through the village have been suggested, the Trunk Road Authority would have to give permission, possibly also Highland Council
. NM to ask police for one
AB to write letter from HC
AMC to write to Transport Scotland asking for one at each end of the village.
4. IJ and DW to meet and flesh out the participation request.
5. Jo Cowan proposed that the Community Council invite the Communications team at the New Belford and the Community Partnership to come and speak at a future meeting.
6. AB to ask if a further dog bin could be installed near the Loch Leven slipway.
7. The Community Company is very short of members. It is possibly a vehicle which could be used by the Inchree steering group. The Companies House registration Incurs an annual fee.
LG to ask if the NLCA will cover this.
IJ to speak to Guy Daynes and Paul MacIntyre
Advertising and transparency were seen as key.
8. AB to speak to the tree officer for an assessment of the beech tree opposite the shop.
9. The Village Hall Committee have decided to pursue the building of a new hall after the partial survey by a structural engineer. It is currently safe but not in a good enough condition to renovate.
10. Contact details on the CC website are out of date and should include contact numbers.
11. Nether Lochaber Community Association ‘s next activity day is work on the picnic site at the Gleaner Garage.
12. A refrigerator has been thrown onto the beach at the new picnic site. Litter along the A82 is very bad at the moment and, it was noted, within the BEAR contract.
The fly tipping number to be put on the CC website
Jo Cowan to include litter in Lochaber Life. A publicity campaign could include posters. Meeting closed 8.45pm
Date of next meeting THURSDAY 5 April 2018 7pm
preceded by an Inchree Steering Group me


Members of Nether Lochaber Community Council 2017

Chair – Iain Jenner – 07923 675593
Vice-Chair Stewart Livingston – 01855 821567
Treasurer Colin Campbell – 07762 432006
Secretary Ann Marie Cameron – 01855 821231

Jennifer Jarl 01855 821567

Co-Opted Members
Nicola Mair 0707747 272424
David Wrigglesworth 07885 15 26 73

PLease also consider contacing us via our dedicated email address


Details correct as at 22/03/18

MINUTES OF MEETING – 1st February 2018

Minutes for Nether Lochaber Community council
1st of February 2018

Present: Iain Jenner, Jennifer Jarl, Nicola Mair and Colin Campbell
Also: Steven MacIntyre and Andy martin
Apologies: Ann Marie Cameron, Stewart Livingston, Dave Wrigglesworth
Last meetings minutes, proposed by Colin Campbell and second by Nicola Mair

Matters Arising:

Inchree stearing group will meet at Village Hall on the 6th of Feb 2018 at 19.00 hours

Creag Mhor Cemetary:
S.L has contacted N.L.C.A. to see if they can take over Creag Mhor Cemetary ownership. He is waiting for a reply.

Emergency power out:
Jo Cowan sent a link to SSE SDF fund. Iain J has completed an application form and we have now applied for funds to upgrade toilet and kitchen and to put in showers and laundry in to the village hall in case of a power out.

1. Steve MacIntyre application manager – environment team and Andy Martin Site Manager (New Ronnie) came from Marine Harvest to talk about the planning that has been accepted for them to up the cages to 16 from 12. One of the constraints is that they have to put an environment group together to monitor the healt of the fish in our rivers and lochs. They will keep us updated.
2. Gorge burning
3. BT has not removed the cable drum from the burn at old school house. S.L will phone again.
4. A.S.L.C.C had a meeting on the 16th of January -18. Iain Jenner is writing an alternative rout proposal for A.S.L.C.C
5. Flower and produce show schedule is ready and to go out with N.L.C.A leaflets ASAP.
6. Colin Campbell is going to contact Kate Forbs about BEAR Scotland contract that is coming up for a renewal.
7.Melany Itze is going to be in touch with I.J to come down and discuss road safety at the school. B863.
8. DE fib course has been held by David Doughan in the Village hall. Nicola is going to ask if he can repeat it in February and she will try to advertise it a bit more with the assosiations help on FaceBook.
9. Colin Campbell is going to sort out the yearly donations with Ann Marie C.
10. Jennifer J. to phone Andrew MacMaster about fly tipping at Inchree, wades road.
11. Iain is going to see how much it would cost to put up gates at the entrance at Dunbeg coming in to the village.
12. Notice boards has been started and hopefully the new one will be in at the bench by the St.Brides primary school in March. Next one to be built will be the one at old post office and a third one at Village Hall.

Meeting closed at 20.40
Next meeting 1st of March 2018


Quilt Exhibition
Nether Lochaber Sewing Group
NetherLochaber Village Hall
Friday 23rd, Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th March
10am – 4pm